Sunday, December 6, 2009

Fine Dining

I have been working on setting up the endowment at our church for over six years. Today was the congregational meeting and I am now the chair of the endowment committee. Today we graduated from an interim committee. To celebrate we went to Fleming's steak house for fine dining.

I was underwhelmed and didn't do as well as I had hope. I ate very little before the meal so I was famished. I should have sent the bread away but I didn't. I ate my whole salad wedge- it was lovely but by the time the prime rib came I wasn't that hungry so I ate maybe 25%- 30% and same with my side- the sauteed spinach.

I used to love going out for a nice dinner, and this was my favorite- steak, salad sauteed spinach and mushrooms and molten chocolate cake. While eating I was distracted by counting the calories and suspicious of the butter. You know it is conspiracy by restaurateurs.... cover everything in butter to enhance flavor and fatten us all up. I passed on the wine to share the dessert.

So I sit here thinking about the over $100 we spent and wondering why I don't enjoy it anymore and wondering what to do next time. Fine dining at home perhaps-NY strip steaks from whole foods on the grill, but the service isn't very good here.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not enjoying restaurants as much either anymore......it is a mourning process, I think.....as Hoots the Owl says to Ernie, "You've got to put down the ducky, put down the ducky....you've got to put down the ducky if you want to play the saxophone." I now can listen to /watch that clip from Sesame Street any time I want due to youtube to remind me................restaurant meals are one of my "duckies" that I have to put down in order to "play" my instrument (my body) the way I want to. (Now, was that response random, or what? ) Actually, it makes a lot of sense to me..........just got to be mindful and CHOOSE consciously.....we really can't have our cake and eat it too (just like Ernie can't hold the ducky and play the sax at the same time.........so much wisdom in Sesame Street!!!)

    ReplyDelete