Friday, December 4, 2009

How to Manage December

Let's see what we have planned for December: Saturday is the greening of the church- Chili- not too bad for the diet. Dinner at Flemming's steak house on Sunday. Lunch out on Monday, a Christmas Carol (play) on Thursday night, Friday is the first night of Hanukkah which means greasy fired Latkes. Ok so that is only the first week.

I can handle all of this if I plan for it so here goes my tips and tricks.
1. Jack up the exercise- double the walks and classes- Tuesdays and Thursdays are now walk, spin, yoga mornings.
2. Eating out- count everything. Eat half of the portion or less. Practice portion control.
3. Parties- try 3 bites of everything no more, count everything. Have one glass of wine then go to water.
4. Latkes- have half of one and try to make some with pam in the oven- this is a hard one to manage around because the whole purpose is to eat oil.
5. Baking cookies and making candy- freeze or box for gifts immediately. Eat one of everything. Sit down and savor it and eat it very slowly enjoy every bite.
6. Out of town guests- Have things for them to enjoy but also the food that keeps you successful.
7. Christmas Day- portion control and have veggies that fill you up and just a few bites of the treats.
8. No eating after 7 pm
9. Drink lots of water
10. Weigh every day

1 comment:

  1. A latke with Pam in the oven made me laugh out loud!!! Potato latkes were a HUGE tradition in my family of origin....luckily my daughter and husband are not particular fans so I don't really have to make them.......but, I've got to tell you, a latke in the oven with Pam makes it not a latke. You might be able to do better making a potato kugel.......although that has lots of oil in it too even though it is baked. I like your plans........I'm minimizing with as little holiday events as possible.......and not feeling weird about it..........just enjoying my simplified life and that includes the fact that my cholesterol is down from 224 to 167......great motivation to keep it up through the holidays!!!

    ReplyDelete