Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Julie / Julia

I got the movie Julie and Julia yesterday from Redbox ($1 one night rentals) and it was fabulous. I like many others of my generation learned to cook primarily from 2 books. First and foremost for the basics The Joy of Cooking, and once I realized that I loved cooking and food then I graduated to Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.

I remember watching her on PBS, and as a teenager,watching the Dan Akroyd skit on SNL- bleeding all over the kitchen. I still find it hilarious. What appalled me from the movie was the butter. Oh my, how she loved butter. I can not eat like that. How do the French stay so thin eating all that butter. Oh well. I dusted off my used copy and will start to read it again with fresh eyes and see how I can make wonderful food like Julia sans the butter. Probably not possible, like Latkes with out oil.

I have been so focused on counting the calories that I forgot about the joy of eating and of cooking. Julie and Julia reminded me of the Joy.

1 comment:

  1. Julia Child without butter and latkes without oil are both equations that = cardboard. Yuck!! However, fresh pomegranate seeds with tangy Hungarian non-fat yogurt (my dessert tonight)........that is REAL food that has charm all its own!! Three cheers for real food that also doesn't clog arteries and raise blood pressure! I think if Julia was a contemporary to Rachel Ray or Alice Waters she would be into more healthy raw foods....gotta believe it!!! (and where did she get that accent from...wasn't she American?) You piqued my interest......gotta rent that movie!!

    ReplyDelete