Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Golden Corral

The Golden Corral is what is wrong with the American diet. I knew I shouldn't have gone there. But I was on the slippery slope and couldn't help myself. We were driving back from Ohio and as a family couldn't decide where to eat in Galipolis, just before crossing into West Virginia. There wasn't a lot to choose from, so for some unknown reason I thought that the best choice. I was very wrong.

The food quantity is very high and the quality very low. Enough said. I finished first and walked the parking lot to get some steps in. Once we got in the car I started to feel ill. My stomach hurt all the way back to NC. I told my family to never let me do it again. Every time I eat there (once every 1-2 years) I leave saying I don't ever need to do that again. And then I am there doing the same damage.

Well I have recovered from the over eating and drinking in Ohio including the Golden Corral, and by some miracle I am down 1.6 pounds in the past week. For the past 2 days I am back at it on my diet and exercising. I got in over 17,000 steps yesterday. Today is the beginning of week 40 of this program and tonight is my 9th month assessment (weigh in and surveys). I am feeling pretty good about my progress and my ability to make it through the holidays.

(For those who are not familiar with Golden Corral like my family in Mpls- it is an all you can eat buffet of buffets with everything under sun- Something like 20 main courses, 20 side dishes, a huge salad bar, grilled meats, soups, ice cream plus 30 dessert choices. They have everything from pizza to tacos to pot roast to fresh rolls, grilled pork chops, mini cheese burgers, mac and cheese, greens, fried clam strips, popcorn shrimp, fresh baked cookies, etc etc etc.)

1 comment:

  1. The last few times I've been to Golden Corral (last time was our daughter's junior year in college so it must have been three years ago...and before that it was a couple of years before in Durham), I found that I was so grossed out by the average size of the packed (in more ways than one) crowd, that it motivated me to eat very little when I was there. I, also, do not seek out Golden Corrals.

    ReplyDelete