Friday, December 11, 2009

Hannuka



This is what I said as a part of the 1st service this morning at Church where Allison was an angel in the Christmas pagent. We watched Fidler on the Roof last night (well the first half anyway) and we ate Latkes. I have been failing at staying on my program the past few days. I have even forgotten my pedometer. As I get into all of the traditions of the seasons I fall short on my new habits. I will do better tomorrow.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The word tradition comes from the Latin which means "handing over or passing on".
This is the season of traditions. I have many traditions that I am passing on to my daughter. I think we need the traditions to help us feel that we belong to something larger than ourselves. It comforts me and allows me to be child again.

I grew up in a very non conventional family- actually many diverse households. I lived for a time on a commune, my stepmother is Jewish (Dad's 3rd wife) my mom's second husband was black and we moved in these world with ease at kids. Dad, the Maoist, read the communist manifesto at the dinner table a couple of times when I was in middle school until my sister and I revolted. I was taught that religion was the opiate of the masses, but remember going to Catholic church with my grandma on Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday. We never went went to temple, but observed the Jewish holidays. No wonder I am a UU, I love it that all of this is kind of normal here. We had a Christmas tree / Hanukkah bush and an annual solstice- toboggan party. The winter nights in Minnesota are very long and very very cold. My father believed in honoring the pagan traditions.

In honor of the traditions and diversity in my family and the world, and in honor of Marly,(noni to Allison) my step mother our relationship, and my love for her and her family especially my Grandma Louise (Babba Lou to Allison) I pass the Jewish traditions onto Allison. We light the menorah from my childhood, spin the dradle, eat latkes, Allison gets one small present each night like I did, and we retell the story of the miracle of the oil lasting 8 nights.

Allison has a poem to share about what Hannuka means to her

H- Happiness

A- A time to gather

N- Nation of believers

N- New toys

U- Uninterrupted light

K- Kitchen- I smell Latkes

A- A time to celebrate

(lighting of the menora with Allison)

This from our president, just one day after receiving the Noble peace Prize:

"The Hanukkah story of the Maccabees and the miracles they witnessed reminds us that faith and perseverance are powerful forces that can sustain us in difficult times and help us overcome even the greatest odds. Hanukkah is not only a time to celebrate the faith and customs of the Jewish people, but for people of all faiths to celebrate the common aspirations we share,"

"As families, friends and neighbors gather together to kindle the lights, may Hanukkah's lessons inspire us all to give thanks for the blessings we enjoy, to find light in times of darkness, and to work together for a brighter, more hopeful tomorrow."

------------------

1 comment:

  1. Great photo and I LOVED reading your description of your multicultural childhood....what a rich blessing and it really explains why UU is such a great fit for you!!!

    ReplyDelete