Thursday, February 11, 2010

Becoming a Vegetarian

I haven't really decided yet, but I am entertaining the idea of becoming a vegetarian, or at least at home.

Being a vegan in our society is very hard. I went to a seminar yesterday to hear one of my heroes. Nick Murray is amazing and his sage advice and wisdom has made me a better and more successful financial advisor. He has had a greater impact on my career than anyone, so I was thrilled to see him speak in person for a lunch meeting yesterday from 11-2. He was irreverent, wise and gave me concrete steps to be better.

Lunch was a disappointment. I had expected make your own sandwiches that they usually have at these functions, so I could make a veggie sandwich. But no, there were roast beef sandwiches and chicken wraps, the vegetarian option was grilled veg and fresh mozzarella on a skewer. The only vegan offering was the fruit salad. I did have the coleslaw and a piece of chocolate cake ignoring the animal products in each. I only have to do this for a week, can't even imagine a vegan life. A vegetarian life is more doable I think. I am moving in that direction. I think that I will stop buying red meat to bring home. We can eat whatever when out, just not in the house. Only chicken, turkey and fish from now on.

I have been reading vegetarian cookbooks and I have some ideas that I think will be great. So far I have come up with the following ovo lacto vegetarian main dishes:
Eggs-griddle cakes both sweet and savory with veggies, quiche, puddings, kugel
Corn-grits, polenta, tamale pie
Italian- pizza, gnocchi, pasta, pesto, marinara, stuffed shells, alfredo
Chinese- lettuce wraps, kung pao, yuxiang eggplant, dry fried green beans, sesame noodles egg foo yung, spicy tofu
Asian- Tom Yum, Pad thai, Vietnamese noodle soup, Miso soup, miso eggplant, tempura
Mexican- tortilla soup, veg fajitas, tacos, burritos, nachos, tostadas
Greek- spanikopita, gigantes (butter beans), moussaka
Indian- peas and tofu, cauliflower curry, vindaloo, spinach, curry chick peas
Mideast/ N Africa- falafel, taboleh, morracan stew, cous cous,
Bean soup- navy, black, pinto, lentil, split pea, white, chili
Veg- Cabbage and potatoes, stuffed pepper/cabbage/potatoes, veg soup, puree veg soup, veg stew, shepherd's pie, ratatouille

Let me know if you have some good vegetarian main dishes.

1 comment:

  1. The problem with all the food items above is that many of them are high carb..........i don't think meat is the problem.....I think now that it is excessive meat...just like excessive carbs is a problem.

    ReplyDelete