Saturday, February 6, 2010

Playfulness

From Hafiz, a Great Sufi Master (Iran)"God wants to see more love and playfulness in your eyes, for that is your greatest witness to Him" (from the poem Your Mother and My Mother)

I am not playful, spontaneous, impulsive, romantic, nor a last minute kind of person. I am dependable, efficient, list making, serious, responsible; I am a planner. I am willing to consider the fact that I may be missing the point of living life by continuing to live in the future, not Now.

When I am playing with the dog (Queenie is a Boxer-Pit Bull mix)- tug of war complete with growls on both sides, I am in the moment playing and not worrying about what to cook for dinner or the list of personal and business items I have to accomplish, just for that one moment. Also, when I am playing with my daughter, letting her show me around her virtual world on build a bear ville or playing on her DS I am in the moment playing. I snap out of it, out of the joy and the to-do's nag.

For a long while, since getting married 15 years, ago I have known that I am not the romantic type. I am thoughtful, I get things for Art that I know he will enjoy for no specific reason, just because I want to. I can be sexy, but that is not romantic. The only 2 romantic things I have done, that I can think of are writing him a love letter a few years ago for no reason and surprising him on our 10th anniversary, taking him away to Fearrington Inn for lunch, tea, dinner, over night in a suite there and then brunch the next morning. It was romantic and spontaneous for him, but not for me. It was well planned and discounts were used, me being my old self I had everything mapped out down to bringing snaks, chocolate and wine. The only thing I didn't plan was the wedding happening outside our window, which we watched from the room.

Valentines is coming and once again I am at a loss. Just get him Godiva again? How does one become playful and romantic. Where is the list of things I can check off to become spontaneous? How do you plan play? The lesson once again is to live in the now because it is all we ever have.

1 comment:

  1. Playfulness is my middle name but I am really glad I am married to someone who tends to be more serious........it is grounding.....and he appreciates my spontaneous side........as we grow older he is embracing more serendipity and is becoming more and more fun and I'm able to be more organized..........it is fun to come together this way. I think it is about balance and choice -- being able to be spontaneous and also being able to plan.......yet not be tied to one manner of being or the other -- that, I believe, is true freedom and the way God intended us to evolve in relationship with one another, the universe, and the divine. I see playfulness in my husband's eyes so much more these days, and he reminds me of a laughing Buddha......we are setting off on more and more adventures together and seeing life as a wonderous journey, not as scripted, is a blessing.........this entry really made me think and be grateful for the shifting that is going on in my life lately.......Here's an idea for playful and romantic: an all day couple's massage class...go to www.pleasuremechanics.com for more info. Charlotte and Christine (the pleasure mechanics AKA massage therapy teachers/sex educators) have classes coming up in Raleigh and Carrboro........we did one this weekend and it sure put some play, spice, and then some in our relationship.....I highly recommend it!!!

    ReplyDelete