Saturday, January 9, 2010

Sabbath

A sabbath is a break or a day of rest. The term "Sabbath" derives from the Hebrew shabbat (שבת), "to cease". As a family we have a ritual or tradition that has fallen by the wayside and that we are picking up again. Observing the Sabbath as UUs not Jews and taking a break from the busy world and focusing on our family. For us that means having our Friday meal together, lighting a candle(chalice)and sharing our joys and concerns from the week. I got this from a good friend, who is Jewish. They share 3 good things and one bad from the week. I have adapted this to joys and concerns similar to what we share at our church.

Our rule (from my friend) is you must share 3 joys at a minimum and only 1 concern. This allows all of us to stay focused on the positive. Last night we shared our joys and concerns, mainly joys about the holidays and seeing friends and family over break; concerns about flu, speeding ticket and how a friend is being teased.

This has become a spiritual practice for us as a family. I was writing the joys and concerns down for a while. I think I will start that up again. I just love the beginning of a new year when we can start fresh on all fronts. Focus on the positive and acknowledge the joys in your life.

Another new practice for the new year, to keep me on track to being a size 10 by my 25th reunion in June, will be to post my weight loss results weekly. Week 45-189- loss of 40 pounds since program started 3/3/09 (or total weght loss since 9/1/08 of 45) versus goal of 60 (65) pounds by week 67. I am up 5 pounds since my lowest point before the holidays. ;( Perhap reporting my results will keep me on track. :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of Sabbath too............and it is important that I honor my Saturdays and not be tempted to work........recording...back to recording, that is what I need to do too.

    ReplyDelete