Saturday, January 2, 2010

Year in Review 2009

I used to write an annual Christmas letter, then I had a miscarriage the week of Sept 11, 2001, then one year Art got cancer and then another cancer a few years later. It just didn't seem fitting to write a Christmas letter wishing everyone a great holiday and sharing our personal tragedies. So I stopped. This is the first year I actually thought I would write one again, when it seems again that each year keeps getting better than the last. I didn't get it written and emailed out to all my friends and family- so I though I would write it here.

So here's the update: '09 began with continuing to adjust to a new elementary school for Allison and a new minister for our church big changes from Fall of '08 that have been great. My business is Andrade Wealth Management, working from home, a change that took place in May of '08. I have the the greatest boss and a wonderful work environment especially since we put in a small pond for a great view. Queenie, our pit bull boxer is my assistant. She adopted us a few years ago, showed up in the driveway and decided to stay.

I joined a weight loss study in January. The same day I signed up early January of 09, Art signed us up for the sportsplex to start working out. I have been a regular at yoga, pilates and spin classes, he hasn't grace the door since signing us up.

I cried tears of joy at inauguration driving back from a long weekend in Myrtle Beach with Allison through a snow storm, making it just in time to see President Obama take the oath. Allison and I went on ski vacation in Feb to Sapphire, NC and I realized that I can ski OK, but don't need the thrill any more. Allison wasn't as excited about it as she was the previous year in Colorado at Wolf Creek. Skiing is no longer in the vacation plans for us. For Spring break Allison and I went to visit Shirley and Terry in Rancho Mirage, CA. We had a wonderful time and for the first time in my life I lost weight on vacation! They were great about helping me keep on my plan. We went to Las Vegas- my first time. It is really something. Everything is over done and over the top. (Odd that Allison and I go on with out Art, but he doesn't like to travel as much as I do and has less vacation time and flexibility.)

We have a new grandbaby Lucia Anna Andrade was born in June and we were there for 3 weeks to help before, during and after and I was able take the twins and Allison to Pagosa Springs to let Matt and Brooke have alone time with Luci. Art was there for the middle week.

In July Dad came out for my Birthday, we ate, walked, golfed and Dad taught Art and Allison to play guitar. They had quite the band for the week. Dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and lost 5 pounds while here. We ate well but were very healthy about it. He has since lost about 50 pounds and has reversed his diabetes.

After Dad left we went to China for two and a half weeks, a week each in Shanghai and Beijing plus a couple of days in Beidaihe, where the Great Wall meets the ocean. It was wonderful to be back in China and to see old friends and the plant that I had proposed was built and operational in Tianjin. Shanghai was unbearably hot and the most modern city I have ever been to. I fell in love all over again with Beijing and left ready to move back. A month or so later when the spell wore off I came to senses. My diet was quite successful until Beijing. We ate such wonderful food that I couldn't resist.

Art started the school year teaching 2nd grade for the first time, after teaching 4th for 7 years. It has been no fun for him this year and he may transition to an assistant or sub next school year.

Once Art and Allison were back in school and the vacations were over, I got right back on my program and ended up at my lowest point losing over 50 pounds since Sept 1 '08. I am not at that point right now, but am back on track. I got rid of 5 large garbage bags of clothes in size 20-22 and have replaced my whole wardrobe in size 10-12. I need to keep the weight off or I will have no clothes to wear.

We went to Ohio for Thanksgiving- meeting Matt and family at Art's first wife's family (Matt's aunts etc). I was able to get to Columbus to see Chris and Joe and had a great day with them. The weight loss has been a big challenge since coming back. Marly and Mihai came down for Christmas and we had a wonderful time- again eating too much. Mihai is the best cook we know. The day they left we went to Williamsburg for 3 days including a day trip to DC. Getting back with a few days to prepare for a new years' open house. The fridge is full of lucky leftover and I am back on my plan ready for a great 2010 and planning to be a size 10 for my 25th Carleton reunion.

1 comment:

  1. I did a Christmas letter and mailed it for the first time in ten years and it felt really good...........so we're on the same page here. It feels good to look in retrospect and to note that we are on a path...a positive trajectory....and that we have survivied challenges........helps to know that we are in a period of grace and that challenges may come again but that life always goes on and if we survived them then, we will....in one way or another.......survive again and even transcend them once again....in a new way...in the future. I think this is part of my faith life as I grow......this belief that although i don't control much of anything, being in the now and responding authentically always invites God's grace into my life more completely and with less struggle on my part. Great letter this year, Kari!!!! There is so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete