Friday, September 18, 2009

Apples and Pears

I am an apple. Most of my friends and family are pears. I have always carried my extra weight in my tummy. Not in my hips. I am now turning into an upside down pear: broad shoulders, thick waist, no butt and skinny legs. (Or maybe a heart...) Buying pants has been a real experience for me and I have learned a lot recently. In high waisted pants I wear a 16, in low rise I wear a 12. How can that be you may ask. Well, it is the lack of hips and big tummy that make that possible.

Of the many pair of pants that I got rid of, some weren't that loose in the waist but the hip were all way too baggy. Plus size pants in America are made for pears not apples. I now realize why I have never needed a belt. My pants have always been tight in the waist, that is the place were they fit or they don't. I never thought about it until now but I am guessing that it is not the same for most women.

I need to buy the right kind of pants. Pleated pants are for pears not apples. Pleated pants are not my friend. They add weight just where I have too much and they add room where I don't need it. So thank goodness flat front and lower rise pants are in style they are so much more flattering as I work my way out of an apple into a banana.

I just found out today that the same is true for short skirts. I am wearing a a size 12 black denim jeans short skirt I bought today. .. 80% off : ) Looks terrific; I am thrilled!

1 comment:

  1. Hate being a pear but I must confess, I'd hate being an apple as well. Guess the "Barbie" hourglass ideal is not real afterall, otherwise it would be the name of a fruit and not the name of a a timekeeping device. Guess the only choice is to work with what we've got!

    ReplyDelete