Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Red Red Wine

I have always loved the UB40 song Red Red Wine. Red wine is my drug of choice. Last year at this time I was most likely having 1-2 glasses of wine a night, and really enjoying it. I love the velvety feel of a good red wine, but I don't mind Two Buck Chuck for every day drinking. I like red wine and Champagne the best, but I also enjoy white wine in summer especially Tokay Pinot Gris. I like beer from all over the world. I am especially partial to Belgium Trappist Triple (3x the normal alcohol content) but I also like Chinese, Mexican and some American beers like Killian's and Yuenling. I have enjoyed single and blended malt Scotch and gin and tonic for a long time now. I like fruity drinks, margaritas, pina coladas, rum and diet coke and hi balls (ginger ale and whiskey) just like my grandma and grandpa used to drink. I come from a long line of alcoholics on both sides. I have always known this and although there have been times when I drank more than I should, I don't think that I have ever been chemically dependent where it has negatively impacted my life except to the extent that I have never really considered the calorie cost of drinking. I guess I thought that those calories didn't really count.

I started drinking in high school. We used to go to keg parties down by the Mississippi River. I was 14, which horrifies me now that I have a 10 year old daughter. When I started college at 17 there was a dance with free beer every night of freshman week and, if I remember correctly, once a week thereafter. Much about college was about drinking beer. I guess in my mind it still is. I was just back for a 25th reunion planning meeting and I felt like I was 20 again, drinking and dancing until 1:30 am with classmates and alums 20 years younger. I had a blast; I am sure I would not have been doing that if I still had on those extra 40 pounds.

I don't drink very much any more. I can't afford, (or choose not to afford) the calorie cost of 2 glasses of wine a night. The cost is 150 calories a glass, 300 a day for 30 days or 9000 calories a month which adds 2.5 pounds per month. No wonder I got up to 235 pounds and no wonder the weight is coming off now that I actually count the calories in alcohol. What calories are you consuming that "don't count"?

1 comment:

  1. Makes me think of that old refrain from a song out of my parent's generation: ".....mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all....." Never quite got the alcohol thing. I think in college I passed out and threw up once....and then once again as a very young adult....and after that I'd learned my lesson. Never loved the taste of alcohol like a bowl of pasta or a rich dessert. Guess we all pick our poison and mine is straight unadulterated carbs. If you give me a choice between alcohol and a slice of fresh bread, I'm all over the bread. Read recently that rich food can destroy your liver just as fast...............so, it is important to remember that everything does count.

    ReplyDelete