Monday, September 14, 2009

The Bathroom Scale

I have a real robust relationship with my bathroom scale, complete with drama and honeymoon periods. We have our ups and downs. I thought we were in good place but I have been betrayed again. This morning and yesterday morning I woke up looking forward to the number on the scale looking back at me. I have been under my calories goal and over my exercise goal and weight loss is just simple math. I was thinking about calling this the math diet. It is really energy in energy out; calories are a measure of energy. Simple science and the results should be plain and predictable. They are over time just not daily.

Here's the math: My metabolic rate is 1600 calories per day estimated based on my age weight and height. One mile walked/ jogged etc burns 100 calories on average. It takes 3500 calories not consumed or used to burn one pound of stored energy (FAT) . So if I walk 10,000 steps per day (5 miles) and eat 1500 calories my deficit will be 600 calories per day or 4200per week and I should loose 1.2 pounds per week.

This week I have eaten less than 10,000 calories and walked more than 10,000 steps per day on average. I started the week at 193.6 and was down to 191 feeling great-- whoo hoo lost 2.6 pounds yeah! Then yesterday I was up to 191.4 and then today back to 193.6 no loss at all (!!!) and I wanted to pick up scale and throw it out the window. This was after I had weighed myself no less than 3 times in a row with the same number coming up.

At least now we are in a place where we are seeing each other on a daily basis. Where as in the past when I knew there was only bad news- maybe once a month with one eye closed and teeth clenched.

Today I have had TWO fun sized snickers. I have been hungry and snacky, but stayed within my plan. It is so hard to keep motivated when you feel betrayed. I am keeping up my end- 1500 cal, weigh daily and exercise. The scale will get back in line the results will show IF I stay on the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment