Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pedometer

I must say when I received my pedometer in the mail from the weight loss study I wasn't impressed. I was actually hoping it was a heart rate monitor I wanted to see how hard I was working in spin class, if I was getting to the target heart rate. My experience is that I never get to the right heart rate because I never push myself to the limits. I never "leave it all" in the race or work out. I don't like working that hard. Even when running in the triathlons I never pushed myself past where I know I have reserves- my buffer. Well I decided to give this at try. Measure your steps for one week and then set a SMART (specific measurable attainable realistic and time bound) goal. OK, so I think I averaged about 6000 steps per day the first week. Still not really impressed with the tool. But I am very analytical and I like to measure things, especially things I can control. Then I hear that you should get 10,000 steps in a day. WOW that's a lot, can I do it? So I try and then my goal is to get my 10k steps in .

I stop going to the spin classes and swimming. No steps. I start finding great walks and walk longer than I have in the past and I suddenly find the exercise that I really enjoy. It clicked for me. I like that every step shows up on the pedometer. I try to get my 10k in a day or at least on average for the week. It is almost 9 am on Sunday and I have 7060 so far. Queenie and I walked up and down the road at 7 am this morning. No traffic, no IPOD, just us and the birds and crisp morning air. It is a spiritual practice for me. It grounds me and gives me time to meditate and think about things in my life. It slows my mind down. I don't even notice I am exercising some times. Yesterday we (dog and I) went on a new trail at the Eno and were on the other side of the river from where we normally walk. It was fabulous. The waterfall from the other side of the river is even better and there is swinging foot bridge that I loved. It was great being 20 feet over the river and seeing the river from that angle. Queenie didn't like the bridge - not solid ground but she did fine.

We live in a great spot for walking. I love to walk by water. Here, there are many walks by different parts of the Eno River: Eno River State Park has about 20 different trails at half a dozen or so different sites, in Hillsborough there is the speedway, the Poets Walk and Ocannechee Mountain. Little River park is around the corner from me. There is Washington Duke and Duke Forest trails that I want to check out in Durham. There are several great walks in Chapel Hill. I like the community center because of the rest rooms. (For the walks with no potty I bring Kleenex, close to nature and all that.)

Walking in nature is my preference but I have been known to walk from one end of the Mpls/ St Paul Airport to the other (over 1 mile one way) and then back before boarding my plane. I walked around the parking lot while waiting at the doctor for my husband. I walk to UNC campus from church when my daughter has choir practice. While waiting for her to get off the bus I pace the driveway. If is raining and I can't walk outside I may go shopping to get steps in or I just walk in the rain. I still enjoy it.

My pedometer is always on. I only take it off to shower or sleep. When wearing a dress I clip it on my panties, and have a little bump. I have given or recommended pedometers to many friends and family. One of these friends is as addicted to hers as I am to mine and told me yesterday that it is her touch stone, like some people wear a cross. It keeps me focused and it is so fun and rewarding to see that number go over 10,000. I find it hard to believe that this is as much exercise as running five miles and that each will burn 500 calories. My knees don't hurt from walking like they do from running and I don't dread it like more intense exercise. I feel a bit like I am cheating on my exercise program by just walking and doing Pilate's and yoga once a week because they give me energy and don't kick my butt. The jeans don't lie. I was wearing size 12 tall jeans last night.

1 comment:

  1. I've gotten to the point where I feel positively naked without my pedometer. Thanks for the panties tip....it is coming in handy. My pedometer goes on the minute I get up and stays on all day...........I find that with it on I'm reminded of my "big rock."

    ReplyDelete