Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Skinny People

My husband and my mom have each gained 5-10 pounds in the last 40 years. They are naturally thin. Born that way. It is their metabolism. My husband always keeps potato chips and doughnuts in the house. Eats chocolate all the time. Can sit down and polish off 1/3 of a container of Breyer's ice cream in one sitting. My mom loves sweets and real cream and cheese. Mom eats every 2-3 hours like clock work. What about those French people with all the froi gras and brie? How can they stay so slim? It is that I am "big Boned" and unlucky? That some how the math rules of calories in and out don't apply to them?

I have gone under cover and researched these very strange (to me and my experience) creatures. It helps with the research if they live with you or submit a food journal for a week (thanks mom). And guess what? They aren't lucky or naturally thin. They consistently eat the amount of calories that will maintain their current weight. Yes they both eat Ben and Jerry's but in moderation or if they over indulge they eat less the next meal or day. (?!!??) That has not been my experience. Ever. If I over eat then I just eat normally the next day- they don't. I have been known to call my husband a snake because if he eats a big meal he will skip breakfast and lunch the next day. I have never in my life skipped 2 meals in a row unless for medical reasons.

So people are skinny for the same reasons that people are heavy. Calories in and calories out. Hopefully, I can learn from this and change my behavior. But the real lesson for me has been that I can't blame my weight on bone structure or DNA. My body is a direct representation of my life time of eating and exercise SO FAR. And it is changing, representing my new life style. If I keep up with the 1500 calories and not much exercise I should settle out around 165-170. And at that point the more I exercise the more snickers I can eat.

1 comment:

  1. I find it easy to resent skinny people....but that really gets me nowhere.........I think looking at it your way makes sense.....although it is hard not to suspect, at least a little, that they metabolize food a little more quickly. That may be true too, but it is not a fact we can easily change. Behavior, however, CAN be consciously changed

    ReplyDelete