Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Counting Calories

I have always had a weird kind of calorie math. I remember in college thinking that is wasn't so bad to have a Snickers and a Diet Coke. Like some how magically the Diet Coke balances the Snickers to a net zero on my body. (Yes, the love affair with Snickers has been going on for a long time.)

It happened again yesterday, I went grocery shopping and had a few small samples. I ate a tiny part of a cookie, a small piece of ham, a slice of apple and a piece of cantaloupe. None of these calories made it into my food journal until it occured to me this morning. I counted the tastes of refried beans while I was cooking in my dinner portion, but I forgot the little bits of peanut butter crackers from my daughter's lunch box and the couple of goldfish from her snack. Little tastes, licks, sips and nibbles seem some how not to count. The food off the kids' plates the taste of your husbands better higher calorie dinner, chips or ice cream all count. I think I need to add a space at the end of the day for all the little invisible calories that I forget to count because I have been under the unconscious illusion that free food has no calories.

That reminds of the Bar Mitsvah we attended last month. There was a lovely brunch after the service and then a great spread at a hotel for dinner and dancing. I had to try everything and there was so much great food and it was going to go to waste. It was free so some how in my twisted mind the calories don't count as much. Or the math is different. Free food is big problem for me to over come. But I see now now that free food is not free. It counts and it is how I choose to spend my calories, OR NOT. I have a choice and hopefully I will make better choices in the future or at least be honest with myself about the calorie math

1 comment:

  1. Starting to record those tastes and nibbles right along with everything else. Thanks for that point in the right direction, Kari. I think sometimes I used to think tht if I was standing up and eating, those calories didn't count. What a lie!!!

    ReplyDelete