Friday, November 6, 2009

Daily Weigh-In

There are mixed views on daily weighing. Some people think that due to the fluctuations that you should not weigh daily. Once a week only. I have been weighing daily for about a year now- (except those few months when I went rouge and gained a bunch back) and it is just like with the quality training what you measure improves. If you focus on something and measure it, it will improve. I have lost over 50#s to date and it is due to 3 things primarily: 1500 calories a day, 300+ minutes of exercise per week and weighing myself daily.

This came in my email from SparkPeople.com today: "Sometimes the hardest part of weight loss is keeping it off. It can be daunting to know that within two years, most dieters regain two-thirds of what they lost! But researchers at Brown University Medical School in Providence, Rhode Island studied 291 people (mostly women) who had lost at least 10% of their body weight (an average of 44 pounds) in the previous two years. Participants were given scales (and encouraged to use them daily), as well as different levels of support (either a monthly email, an internet chat group, or face-to-face meetings). At the onset of the study, 40% of the dieters were weighing themselves daily. After 18 months, 65% of those who chatted online and 72% of those who received face-to-face support weighed themselves daily, while those without support weighed themselves less. On top of that, 68% of dieters who did NOT weight-in daily gained five pounds or more over the course of the 18-month study. "

So my advice and now my life time practice will be daily weighing. I do not want to gain any of this back. Over the holiday's we will have a contest through through the UNC program that encourages daily weighing through the holidays. To the extent that we comply, food will be donated to the food bank. I am already planning to take my scale when we travel, no reason for me to miss a single day!

No comments:

Post a Comment