Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Salt

I love salt and salty things and many people have recommended that I reduce my salt intake. I will not. My blood pressure is low to normal and there are not any other health risks that I know of associated with excess salt consumption. I figure if I am craving salt then I need salt. I sweat a lot more than I used to and I think that I am loosing a lot more salt, which in turn needs to be replenished.

A very low sodium/ salt diet will allow you to lose weight very quickly because you are loosing water. Salt makes you retain water. Once you eat salt again, the weight comes right back. There are people that say it makes you thirsty and hungry and you will eat more, or that it makes you store more fat. I am not buying it. I subscribe to the calories in and calories out school of thought.

I will continue to shake on the salt and enjoy my salty food, as long as I am counting the calories it should come out fine. However, I do have my annual physical coming up next week and I may cut back on the salt for a day or 2 before just for a temporary weight dip. I know it won't be a real weight loss if it is just water and that I will put it back on, but that is OK. Just another part of the mind games I play with my self. The annual weigh-in is an important mile stone for me and I really want to be below 180.

1 comment:

  1. Salt is a big problem for me........I'm watching it but not completely giving it up.

    ReplyDelete