Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Triglycerides

Every year my doctor takes blood and analyzes my Lipid panel, which is cholesterol and triglycerides. The past 2 years my triglycerides were 241 and 267. Normal is less than 150.

My cholesterol levels haven't been above 200 combined, but my good cholesterol (HDL) was too low and my bad cholesterol (LDL) was to high. I found out today that there is an inverse relationship between good cholesterol and triglycerides. No wonder.

I got my blood work results yesterday and my triglycerides are down to 98 ( at 63% drop or I was 272% higher last year than this year!! ) My LDL is about the same but my HDL (good) is up 27%. What a difference a year makes. Seeing the triglycerides number way down is the greatest reward. If I am honest I think that is what scared me into getting really serious about the weight loss. I was on a fast track to type 2 diabetes and I knew it. Diabetes runs in my Dad's family and I was solidly pre-diabetic. No more.

1 comment:

  1. Signed up for free blood lipid panel and cholesterol at Kerr Drug (their promotion for December) and now I will have a more recent panel to compare with when I go for my annual physical in mid April....This gives me plenty time to really work towards a concrete goal that involves more than the scale........Your numbers are inspirational and have me motivated once again.

    ReplyDelete