Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

I am thankful for all of the wonderful blessing in my life but today I want to focus on one particular blessing this year for this blog. My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in July. Diabetes scares me. The fear of it keeps me on my diet.

Diabetes is the 7 th leading cause of death in the US and "Among those age 50 and older, diabetic men lived an average of 7.5 years less than men without diabetes, and diabetes reduced women's life expectancy by an average of 8.2 years. Life expectancy free of cardiovascular disease was reduced by 7.8 years in men and 8.4 years in women with diabetes." (from ScienceDaily June 12, 2007)

I am sooooooooo very thankful and proud that my dad has attacked his type 2 diabetes. He has lost almost 50 pounds, is working out regularly and has no symptoms of diabetes anymore. I couldn't be more thankful because I know that this means I will have my daddy around a lot longer in my life. I love you Dad and today am so thankful for you in my ( and my family's) life/ lives and the many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. And I am thankful for you and proud of your battle. My weight loss is actually about 40 lbs. I started at 224. I weighed myself this morning, after a nice Thanksgiving Dinner yesterday, and I was at 183+.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kari's dad Ed:
    Your daughter Kari is a great friend of mine and she has been inspiring me so I've lost about 9 lbs since about a month before she started this blog......by writing things down more and using the pedometer, mostly. I've hit a snag here lately with some achilles tendonitis that has slowed me down, but I haven't gained any back. Your weight loss is encouraging as now I can't say to myself "well, Kari is a little younger so it is easier" because you are a little older than I am and your numbers are close to mine.....I had reached 228 in August and now I'm at 219 heading downward.........YOur 183 sounds really doable right now...I'm off today to get my cholesterol and triglycerides checked and will be aiming for taking off the next 40 lbs. over the next 6 months. I know I can do it........your story and the physical proof of seeing how Kari looks like a brand new person are motivating me onward. Thank you Ed and Kari!!!

    ReplyDelete