Monday, November 23, 2009

Hunger

1.02 billion people on our planet experience chronic hunger, about one sixth of all humanity. How can we live in world where this is possible? So I think of these people as I struggle with a disease of affluence. That I worry about eating to much when so many do not have enough.

In this country there are soup kitchens that feed the hungry. I volunteer at one and I can tell you that the food is good and nutritious. There is always fresh fruit, fresh vegetables and green salad in addition to main courses, bread and desserts. (The bread and desserts which come largely from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods) There are also food shelves where people can get groceries. I have never been hungry in the true sense of the word. We did get crates of free food bulk cheese I remember in the 70's. I could have gotten free lunch at school but preferred to pack my own.

Be grateful this week as you stuff your self on Thursday, that you can and think about how blessed we are to have food on the table and to never go without. So in my own twisted way I will be grateful for my weight loss struggle. I could literally be starving.

1 comment:

  1. Affluenza is a serious first world disease and we all suffer from it either directly or indirectly in such a prosperous nation. Thanks for pointing out this obvious but often unspoken truth. :)I'm grateful that I did not stuff myself this Thankgiving (I'm catching up on posts retroactively)

    ReplyDelete