Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chocolate

I can not get enough chocolate these days. It is wrecking my diet and weight loss. Why am I craving chocolate all the time?

"Chocolate is the most-craved food, especially among women. But the fact is, no one really knows what causes chocolate cravings. It could be hormonal imbalances. Or, it could be simply a cultural or learned behavior. Feeling a little blue? Must be chocolate time! Want to say “I love you”? A heart-shaped box of chocolates should do the trick. Another speculation for chocolate cravings is that chocolate has an unusual mix of physiologically active compounds. First, it’s high in both sugar and fat, releasing chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin, endorphins and galanin, that help lift our mood and help us feel satisfied. Other compounds, including theobromine and phenylethylamine, also might produce positive physiological effects, but strong evidence for this has not been firmly established for the amounts present in chocolate. An ounce and a half of milk chocolate contains 225 calories and 13.5 grams of fat, more than half of which is saturated fat. So if you submit to your chocolate craving, be sure to do so in moderation." (From Chow Line - a service of Ohio State University Extension and the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center)

I start out the day fine and then around 3-4 pm I start on the slippery slope and then I end up over 2000 calories for the day. This yo-yo has to stop. I hope that tomorrow will be better. I will plan my meals and snacks down to the calorie and perhaps going for a walk instead of eating chocolate will work. I had this under control for so long with my one fun size snickers a day and now something is not working.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is the changing weather AND: Halloween approaching!!! I need a Halloween strategy....which the last couple of years has been to buy my candy (usually chocolate) just a day before the big event, then after the event, take all the leftovers immediately to the IFC Kitchen to donate to the homeless. So far, this has worked well. Today, however, I was doing fine until I read this blog entry...now all I can think about is chocolate (but I'm not going to have any)! Thanks a lot, Kari!! (arghhhhhh!) Meanwhile, this year we are planning to go to a big Halloween dance on the big night....I'm thinking of getting my neighbor's dad, who is temporarily living with them, to give out candy at my house. Now, there's a plan....I won't even have to touch it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We ran Chinese Food last month. Here's the link: http://www.southsidepride.com/2009/10/articles/You_can_enjoy.html

    This month we're going to run One calory, One dollar. You can check it every month after the first week at southsidepride.com

    love and kisses,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete