Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Three Way Cooking

My husband does not like leftovers and the quantity of food I eat has gone way down so I have been getting more creative with food. Over the weekend we had spaghetti. Actually he had spaghetti with marinara and I had cabbage with marinara. So I had left over marinara sauce. Last night I made eggplant Parmesan and with the left overs from that and the extra eggplant we will have moussaka tomorrow. Marinara 3 ways.

Sunday we had pork roast. The bone is in the pinto beans cooking in the crock pot all day and the meat will go into the moussaka. Pork roast three ways. I will do the same with a whole chicken later in the next week or so. Roast chicken, then left over chicken used in Asian lettuce wraps and the bones boiled for stock for Tom Yum soup.

I figure if I hide the leftovers in new and exciting ways he won't mind and I won't get bored with my meals. On of the great challenges for me is to not get bored with my own cooking. At times I get in a rut and am making the same dull things over and over. So I am trying to spicy it up, be frugal and keep with in my 1500 calories per day.

Recipes:

Easy Eggplant Parmesan
Slice and sweat eggplant rinse salt off
Spray cookie sheet with Pam, place slices on cookie sheet spray eggplant with Pam
Broil on both sides until golden brown.

Place six slices in baking dish, pour Marinara sauce over eggplant and top with mozzarella. Bake 30-40 minutes at 350.

Have Parmesan or Romano on table. I don't add it to mine due to calories.

Total Calories 460 serve 3-4. Marinara 1.5 cups =240, Half of eggplant = 60 , 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese= 160. We had a salad (30 calories with spray dressing) and Rainbow Slaw (shredded broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and red cabbage) sauteed in chicken stock (25 calories). Total dinner - my share less than 200 calories!

Moussaka

Make a day a head and it will taste better. The flavors "marry."

8 oz left over pork (or an other meat) chopped finely (250)
About half an eggplant broiled with Pam cubed (60)
1/2 cup tomato sauce (80 because I used marinara left over)
1/2 can diced tomatoes (45)
1/2 onion, 1/4 green pepper and 2 cloves of garlic sauteed in Pam (40)

Combine above ingredients and add cinnamon and allspice to taste. Spray baking dish with Pam. Put Moussaka in pan, top with 1/2 cup mozzarella (160). Bake 30-40 minutes at 350.

Total calories (serves 3-4) 635.

No comments:

Post a Comment