Monday, October 5, 2009

Weights and Measures

Back in the Total Quality Management training at Cargill I learned that what you measure improves. This was a part of the quality revolution in 80's based on the Japanese model. Measurements are a key to my success at weight loss and management.

To be successful I must have:

1. A great bathroom scale, accurate to .2 pounds, digital and consistent. I love and hate my bathroom scale. I fear it every morning but I get on. A long term key to my success is to weigh and RECORD my weight daily. Yes daily with all the ups and downs I need to know exactly where I am so that I can make minor changes and shifts. I know some people disagree with this but I am here to tell ya that it works for me.

2. An accurate food scale in the kitchen. How much is 3 oz of roast pork? You cannot eyeball it. It doesn't work and leads to calorie creep, which adds to weight creep (see point 1 above). All food that has calories per ounce in my book I weigh. I do this so that I am not cheating myself either way. If I calculate 2 oz, I don't want to have less than my share and I don't won't to have more than I have recorded. It is only me that I cheat either way- no one else.

3. Cups, half cups, quarter cups, teaspoons and tablespoons. When I started on the UNC plan I went to Target and found measuring cup and spoon sets for $1 and bought two additional full sets to go along with the 2 sets I already had in my drawer. I can't have the excuse that the half cup was dirty.

I have been very successful, so far, on this plan because I measure everything and record it. Self monitoring is the number one key to my weight loss. Every bit and bite are recorded and accounted for. My steps are counted by my pedometer, my minutes of exercise are recorded every week. I can look back over the past 30 plus weeks to see how I have lost the over 40 pounds. I know exactly what I have done and eaten to get here, and I know what tools helped me.

1 comment:

  1. My recording needs to be more precise. I get sloppy and "guestimate".....this has to change. I'm now starting week three of recording due to your inspiration and it is making a real difference in my awareness. I'm also walking when before I would have not found time for it in a busy day because I know I've got to get my pedometer reading up. Recording makes sense because it heightens awareness.......I'm making it a spiritual practice to record pedometer readings, weight, hours exercised and calories consumed. Makes me accountable, more humble, and helps me to surrender to what my body really needs. When I submit to the regime, I'm also happier and more grounded.

    ReplyDelete