Thursday, October 1, 2009

Resistance

We were given resistance bands for strength training at the week 19 group meeting. We were shown how to use them and every week or 2 we get new exercises to add to our weight training program. My resistance bands went with me to China for 2 1/2 weeks in the bottom of my suitcase. They went with me to Minnesota when I went back for the reunion planning weekend in my carry on. They are always within arms reach when I am in my office working, looking at me peaking out from under a pile on my desk. Resistance bands is sure the right name for them because I have been nothing but resistant to picking them up. I have not used them one time since leaving the meeting on July 7. I keep waiting for the right time to fit them in.

Why am I resisting the resistance bands? Maybe I don't want to add one more thing to my exercise program. I don't want to learn the exercises. They are boring. It is not enjoyable. I just have to rebel somewhere in this plan. I don't want bigger muscles.... I don't know why I haven't picked them up so far, but I think it is time. I need to add strength training, to my arms especially, to balance out the walking. My legs are like steel after 5 miles a day. My triceps are sagging and this needs to be a priority.

I need a plan. I will get to the sportsplex early for Pilate's and Yoga warm up for 5-10 minutes and do some of these exercises. I will do arms on Friday and legs on Saturday. If I miss either or both I lose my clothing allowance for one day. Both must be done before bed Saturday at the latest. This is a start. Hopefully I will see some results, start to like it and eventually add another 2 days, maybe just doing just arms Monday and Wednesday after my walks. It's a journey not a destination. Surrender.

1 comment:

  1. By surrendering to my pedometer today, I've walked 10,252 steps already instead of going shopping in the morning or browsing the internet and making follow up calls which can be done tomorrow. When I surrender to the pedometer, I make the choice to continue to stay focused on my plan rather than give in the whims of the moment. Resistance versus surrender....we've always got a choice!!

    ReplyDelete