Saturday, October 10, 2009

On Strike

My freezer is filled to capacity, my pantry is full, my fridge has a little breathing room, but we are set to be fine for at least 2 months if there is a bird flu out break or natural disaster and it drives my husband crazy. So I am going on strike. I am not going bargain hunting for a while. I am taking my self out of the market literally. No grocery shopping for a while for me. My husband can pick up the milk and lettuce and whatever small things we need. I need to break this shopping Jones. It is hard. Today is the last day of turkeys for 69 cents a pound and Gala apples for 99 cents a pound at Kroger. But I need to stop.

Although I have the clothing bank account I think I am consuming too much on that front too. I stayed in my budget last month and bought over 20 things. Too much. So for now I am giving up grocery shopping and after my outlet trip next week for a Mom's weekend I am going to give up clothes shopping for a while. I'm going on a consumption strike unless something is absolutely necessary like wedding wrapping paper and a card for the wedding we are going to this afternoon. I got what was needed and that is all. We have enough of everything. An probably a lifetime supply of office supplies, another thing I can't resist in the fall when school supplies are at a deep discount.

Shopping is like a drug, I get a little rush with the great bargains that I find, but I don't need that crutch. I will try to be more like my BFF she is a buyer vs me as a shopper. When she needs something she goes and gets it. About 20 years ago I asked her if she wanted to go shopping with me. She looked confused, this wasn't something she was familiar with- going to stores for entertainment. No more entertainment shopping. We have enough. My next project will be organizing all the storage and getting rid of more stuff we don't need.

1 comment:

  1. Now this is tremendous growth.....and honesty. Sounds like, one by one, you are identifying all of your addictions, naming them, and then getting conscious about them. This is inspirational...........you have moved beyond food and diets and are truly viewing this as "energy managegment".................thank you for your honesty and forthrightness in recognizing that this shopping behavior is totally related to calorie management as it is all energy management. You are sparking me to continue to question my own paradigms in this area and the dialogue with this blog continues to be synergistic.

    ReplyDelete