Monday, October 26, 2009

Hungry Girl

I just discovered Hungry Girl and signed up for the daily email. I first read about her in the Sunday New York Times Magazine food special focus about a month ago and then saw her a few weeks ago on Rachel Ray for a minute or two. She is a genius. She is doing all the things that I have been trying to do and muddling my way through. Taking high calories things and making them low cal. Fabulous.

A big tip I got from seeing her on TV was to use Dijionaise by Hellman's instead of mayo. I am going to buy some next time I am grocery shopping. From the web site she mentions "better 'n peanut butter" with 100 calories per 2 tablespoon. Until now my strategy for PBJ was to have one or 2 TEASPOONS (30-60 calories) instead of 2 tablespoons (180 calories) to cut the calories and for the jam Smucker's has a very low cal Spenda cherry jam I like. I will look for the better 'n peanut butter at Trader Joe's. These two tips are genius if I like the taste of them. Most of other other tips I knew, but I am intrigued enough to be on her daily email and keep the tips at the front of my mind. Anything that can help to keep me on track I will take.

Bottom line in my diet is that I can have anything I want just not as much of it as I want. So if I have a hankering for something I can have it. If I can reduce the calories by half or more all the better. Then I have more calories for something else like snickers.

1 comment:

  1. Great resource! I signed up today. I have a feeling I won't be using many of the commercial products, but it always helps to have an ear out for ideas and this is a great clearinghouse of calorie substitutes/shortcuts.

    ReplyDelete