Thursday, October 29, 2009

Not hungry or full?

There is a world of difference between not being hungry and being full. For me it probably about 300-500 calories in a given meal. In this culture we are trained to eat until we are full. I remember as a child being asked if I was full and I would eat until I was full. I ask my daughter if she is full. The message is that you need to feel your tummy is full to stop eating.

Let's change the language and say, "are you still hungry?" That's what we are after. Not full but not hungry anymore. We should eat because we are hungry, for nourishment. Not for entertainment, social reasons or to get full and uncomfortable.

I still like to feel full so I drink a lot of water. If you drink 2-3 glasses of water before a meal you will eat less. I eat a lot of salads and cabbage -usually before the rest of the meal. Lower calories, more bulk. But the real shift that needs to take place is that I eat only when I am hungry after a few glasses of water and I eat until I am not hungry.

1 comment:

  1. Am totally with you on this one......satisfaction with not being hungry instead of with being full is a new intention. I will start praying daily for the willingness to be willing to only eat until not hungry, not be compelled to continue until "full."

    ReplyDelete