Friday, October 9, 2009

Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat?

I watched Oprah yesterday, it was a real treat because I can't usually get ABC since the digital switch. I usually only get NBC and that is only on the TV in the kitchen. The family room TV with rabbit ears gets nothing with the converter so it is only good for DVDs. By chance it was a show about hoarders, something my husband accuses me of. I am nothing like the people on the show but certainly not the Zen Master that he is. I saw Peter Walsh on the show and was reminded of his book: Does This Clutter Make My Butt Look Fat? Which says stop watching TV, start eating meals at home at a table, and get rid of clutter in your life. I haven't read the book but I agree with his philosophy. It has worked for me but I am not sure which came first... kinda like the chicken and the egg.

A few quotes from the book:
From page 2, “As a nation we are reveling in an orgy of consumption and it shows no sign of letting up. We can’t get enough of anything. The American mantra has become ‘more is better’ and we are applying that motto with gusto to almost every aspect of our lives. If consuming is good, then consuming more is better.”
From page 47, “The math of weight is the same as that of clutter: You can only have as many books as you have room on your shelves or only the number of shirts that can hang comfortably in your closet; if you eat more calories than your body needs, they will be stored as fat. Of all the possessions in your home, your body should be most treasured. Treating your body with honor and respect means you are treating yourself with honor and respect.” Totally agree.

I don't watch much TV since the digital conversion, I have cut way down my eating out due to my 1500 calories plan and the clutter is going away naturally. Since losing 49.6 pounds since September 1, 2008 I have begun to finally throw away things I have been holding on to for decades because I might want or need it someday. We are storage challenged in our house, no garage, no attic, no basement. We only have closets so I have been creative in my storage. I have gotten rid of my fat clothes and some of my skinny clothes that fit but weren't in style anymore or flattering. I have really cleaned out my closets and tried on everything in there. It works, I love it or it leaves the house. Nothing under the beds anymore. This week I got rid of 2 bags of fabric/ rags and clothes that I was "going to do something with." I kept the fabric for the second quilt I am making for my daughter from her old clothes. (I made one 5 years ago from her baby clothes and receiving blanket and it is treasured) I did not keep the extra scraps that I don't need.

I feel lighter in body and in spirit since losing the almost 50 pounds. I no longer feel the need to keep the stuff around me to insulate me from the world. My wrapper has come off and I can really feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment